Saturday, March 8, 2014

Memoirs Of A Welfare Queen

     I went to see the play 'Memoirs of a Welfare Queen' tonight in Minneapolis at Bryant Lake Bowl theater. First time at this venue. I had wanted to see the play for a while, as it was a part of Fringe Festival in August, but was out of town then. Originally I said when I planned to attend how I knew the lead actress indirectly through doing comedy, and this is true. But this is a one-woman show. I did share my thoughts on Facebook after getting back from the show, where I got the invite. It is a play about how she had to go onto welfare after 'Baby daddy' dumped her. She finds a way to get off welfare, and she gives credit to friends and family for helping out. I said she hit many of the right chords, as I could relate to things like an upbringing of fear and shame, along with judgey church people. I could tell at times how the material was difficult for her since it was personal, as she paused a few times. But I said I understood just fine as I often pick some painful subjects when I tell jokes, being a fellow performer, subjects like dating relationships and family. She is real good at her craft, and I said I would consider any further Facebook invites for upcoming shows as I may do comedy but I like theater as well. It proves why I like biographies- it was honest and passionate. 
      Since I wanted to be on time for the play, I wasn't home for long tonight after work. I went there before I had even checked any emails, knowing I likely had been inundated with birthday wishes on Facebook. Believe me, I sure was. There were 86 messages waiting when I logged in, and this is twice the typical volume. The venue is close to a Popeye's chicken that I've eaten at before, so I ate at Popeye's tonight. Usually I am in the area to see a movie at the Lagoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment