Saturday, March 29, 2014

Thanks For Sharing Movie

      I got another Redbox movie tonight, it was 'Thanks for sharing'. A good cast, including Tim Robbins, Gwyneth Paltrow, Carol Kane, and Pink the singer (using her real name, Alecia Moore). It mainly centered around those in a support group, AA or something similar. Some scenes were predictable, like the physician being fired when he was caught 'Upskirting' his boss. But any addiction- in this case sex- can be hard to overcome, so I knew why it was being depicted. Pink proved to do well in an acting role, I know some singers before her have tried acting. She works in a beauty salon and is shown shaving somebody with a straight razor. It was tough to watch in some areas, like when an estranged son was accused of theft. But it seemed to be progress towards an ending filled with hope for the three men. I liked some of the music in it, no surprise for those who know me. This included 'Hero' by Family of The Year, and 'Tender Comrade' by Billy Bragg. Let me go, I don't want to be your hero. Brothers in arms, what do we do when the war is over. Those lyrics resonated with me. 
    I did some errand running much like last weekend, I stopped at the same antique shop and got two postcards along with a Chicago World's Fair souvenir. One postcard was of Schlitz Beer, the beer that made Milwaukee famous. The other was the Botanical Garden in St. Louis, mailed from Jefferson Barracks. It appears to have been sent by a World War 2 soldier, not the first I have. The World's Fair souvenir had some nice photos, as a cover for some sewing needles inside. I also made it back to the hardware store near the Xcel Center, which is running a liquidation sale. I got a hammer and some duct tape. Then it was on to the library to print things, and when I got home I saw an E-bay order arrived, another World's Fair postcard. After resting a little I was back on the road, to have coffee at Rosedale Mall in Roseville. I was spotted by somebody there who asked me if I did comedy, I said 'Matter of fact I do'. She had seen me at the club inside a mall. It reminds me of an Andy Warhol quote about fame, but it feels like I have passed 15 minutes already.
    I read some articles about the two Mets-Blue Jays baseball games in Montreal, the Blue Jays won both, 5-4 on Friday and 2-0 today. These games closed out the exhibition season for both teams. There were big crowds at both games, since it was the first major league baseball games in Montreal since the Expos left town nearly 10 years ago. Some talked of trying to bring back major league ball to the city, but it is a longshot. There was a minor league club at one point, Jackie Robinson played on this team as it was a Dodgers affiliate. A minor league team is a more likely thing. I saw two Expos games in Montreal back in 2002, one against the Braves and the other against the Phillies. It was tough to see such sparse crowds at Olympic Stadium, as they averaged about 6,000 fans a night near the end. Some minor league clubs can draw more fans than this. But they had big crowds for these exhibition games.
   I didn't watch any of the college basketball tournament today, as both regional finals games were on TBS and I don't have cable. Based on online searches it said Wisconsin and Florida won to reach the Final Four. It looks like both of Sunday's games will be on CBS though.    

No comments:

Post a Comment