Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Shakespeare's Othello, At The Guthrie

    I had the day off from work today to attend a play at the Guthrie as part of the Roosevelt mentoring program. We saw Shakespeare's Othello. I did admit how I cheated a little and read about the play on Wikipedia in advance. My student did not show up, was told English is his second language and he fears getting too far behind in his classes. I was paired with another student but he didn't speak much. I followed the story fairly well, as it was about a secret marriage where the bride's dad didn't approve. Othello was involved in a military action in a foreign land. Some jealousy happens, and then people die. Death is one thing that can be expected when the play is called a tragedy. Lunch was furnished there, I had two sandwiches, a roast beef and then turkey, since there were some left over. The event coordinator did offer me more, but I had to say I had already eaten two. Since I was near Bobby and Steve's I went over there after the play ended and got a little Godfather's pizza before getting on the light rail back home in the early afternoon. I will have the pizza later in the week. Since some more E-bay orders arrived, I worked on getting them into my binder of first day cover stamped envelopes. I did place some orders before getting on the road for the play in the morning, and another just before I left to go to the comedy club tonight. So I ordered a total of four items today. The fourth order was honoring the 150th anniversary of savings and loans, in 1981. I found it when doing a search for those stamped in Chicago, as many of my recent orders were. Seems out of place now for those who recall the S and L woes of the 1980s, where many lost faith in this kind of financial institution so
these places closed in droves. Bad loans was to blame. I recall there were at least two in my hometown of Newton, Iowa, one was called Mid-Iowa and the other American Federal. Both went away, don't know if there are any left in Newton- or how many are left nationwide.
    At the comedy club tonight, the Maryland native did his joke about his dad drinking O'Doul's with vodka. The Tetris comic did jokes about a train operator stopping the train for Taco John's, and he did his catheter joke as well. The self checkout comic was the M.C. He had some good jokes about the performers, including one who ran the light. Even I did a slashing motion across my throat as I saw the light more than once. Eventually the show runner went to the techie, who had the microphone shut off. The M.C. did say when the show ended how the roads were bad after the snowfall. I will admit I didn't want to leave that bad but knew I had no choice. I made it home just fine, but I took it slower than typical as I wanted to avoid sliding off the road or into someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment