Saturday, March 15, 2014

Monuments Men Movie

    I went to see the movie 'Monuments Men' at the AMC theater in Roseville. I fell asleep for a little while in the afternoon but made it to the evening showing. Most notable scenes for me both involved the Bill Murray character. One of these was when a record from his family was played during the Battle of the Bulge, it was 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas'. The other was when he needed to see a dentist and the dentist was too distracted, talking about other subjects. It should come as no surprise how I liked some of the music in it as I often write about music, though it was just one of three songs listed in the credits. There was plenty for me to like about this movie, starting with the all-star cast. Not only was George Clooney in the lead role, but it also Matt Damon, of course
Bill Murray, and John Goodman. I stay to watch the closing credits and I saw how Clooney also directed, and his dad, Nick, had a small role in it as an older version of himself. As a history major I liked seeing a movie done about historical preservation, as this mission was about getting art back that the Nazis stole.   
    This was a full day for me, starting off with wanting to get plenty of errand running done. I first washed out bottles and cans for recycling, but had to stop since I didn't have soap for the dishes. So I went to Walgreen and got dish soap along with a few other things. When I was finished I got a box of Girl Scout cookies as somebody was selling them outside of the store. I just kept going, by doing groceries as well. One employee said he didn't expect to see me so early, and I said I already had my shoes and coat on so I decided to continue my errand running. Then in the afternoon I went to a comedian friend's birthday party. Nothing unusual there, but it was at a roller skating rink in St. Louis Park and I hadn't been skating in years. The things I do for comedian friends, but comedy has given me so much. Thankfully it went fine, I didn't fall at all. At one point I stopped and was asked if I was all right. I was advised not to look down, and I said it was easier said than done. It was nice to step out of my comfort zone. I did see the guest of honor and his wife there, the 'Bathtub comic', since I could speak with them more at length than one can at a comedy show. 
    I like how music is everywhere. So many good songs I heard today while out and about. At the grocery store it was 'Someday Someway' by Marshall Crenshaw, and 'It's My Life' by No Doubt. While driving back from the movie it was 'Insane in the brain' by Cypress Hill, a reminder of a longtime friend who told me it was his vacuum cleaning song in college. It was also in a Simpsons episode. I am watching 'Life to the Max' and there was just a passenger train feature and I liked hearing a song that said take a train, the C and O, B and O, Santa Fe. Also recently, it was 'Follow your heart' by Brett Dennen, a reminder of visiting Chicago last August. I decided to tone it down on the finger pointing during 'It's My Life' but it is an emotional song for me. I do the finger pointing during the part when 'It's my life, don't you forget' is said, as I have had to say it to some people before, especially family.
   The errand running continued after the movie, as I stopped at the Target near the theater. I picked up more plastic sheets, this time for baseball cards and business cards. Earlier at Walgreen it was sheet protectors for full 8 1/2 by 11 pages. I wanted to get a photo album for postcards but I am picky as some postcards will not fit in all albums. I got a DVD after checking the music and movies section, it was season one of the Bob Newhart Show, his sitcom from the 1970s were he played a Chicago psychologist.   

No comments:

Post a Comment