Friday, May 29, 2015

Fort Leonard Wood

    As far as I know, I have never visited Fort Leonard Wood. But I did just arrive in St. Louis today for my annual visit. When I was at the airport I was trying to do a 'Selfie' with a Snoopy cardboard cutout. Then a man in a military uniform asked if he could help, and he took a better picture than I could. I said I had never served in the military, so I was unsure what branch judging by the uniform. He said he was Army, and had just finished AIT at Fort Leonard Wood, also in Missouri, and would be going on to Florida. He was trained to be a prison guard so it sounds like according to what he was saying he will be most likely sent to Gitmo or a combat zone like Afghanistan. I thanked him for his service and said two of my college roommates had served. His nametag said Perkins. I thought about asking for a picture of or with him, since I like doing the Vivian Maier thing of getting pictures of nearly everything, but I didn't want him to be late for his flight so I didn't ask. To me it was enough that he had helped me. As many of you know, I am prideful and usually won't ask for help but won't turn it down either.
     The flight touched down at Lambert around 4pm and I got checked into my hotel near the airport after 5pm, so I didn't spend much time in my hotel room. I dropped off my bag, and responded to a text message to a friend who lives in the area. Then it was back out again, taking the Metro-Link light rail downtown to the Cardinals baseball game. The Cardinals beat the Dodgers 3-0. It did rain some in the top of the ninth, and I started seeing people leave in droves in the lower level, umbrellas came out. I am thankful the rain held off for a while. I had to walk through a rainstorm after getting back to the airport but not very far, and I am a brisk walker.    

No comments:

Post a Comment