Sunday, May 3, 2015

Wrecking Crew Movie

    This afternoon I went to see a movie at the Lagoon in Minneapolis, 'Wrecking crew'. It was about the studio musicians behind many of the hit songs of the 1960s. It was a film done by the son of one of the musicians profiled in it. Notable was Glen Campbell, since he did achieve stardom, helped by joining the Beach Boys. Herb Alpert was interviewed often, it reminded me of hearing a Janet Jackson song, 'Diamonds'. I didn't understand why Alpert was listed as the performer in this song, but then I found out he is the 'A' in  A and M records, so this explained it better. The song and the record label are not mentioned in this documentary. I liked it, much like '20 feet from stardom' before it, a film about a similar subject. Mention of Gold Star Studios was relevant to me as it was also mentioned in the movie 'La Bamba', and the song 'La Bamba' was one of many songs played in it. I tried to dance to the 'Hawaii 5-0' theme song in my chair but it was hard to do. This is one movie where it was a real good idea to stay for the closing credits, but I normally do anyway as I like seeing where movies are filmed and what music they've used. Nancy Sinatra was interviewed multiple times as well. After the movie I walked around Uptown a little in order to get some items at a Walgreen. I saw a man with a Cookie Monster head on while riding a motorcycle. I shouted 'Cookies!' after I got the photo.
   I actually saw two movies today. The lid-lifter was a DVD I saw in the morning, 'Hank Williams first nation'. I found it at a Family Dollar, and bought it as I like road movies. It was about somebody on a road trip to find the grave of musician Hank Williams. I guessed correctly that it was a Canadian film as the quotes praising the movie were from papers based in Canadian cities. It was mainly filmed at a Cree Indian settlement in a remote part of the province of Alberta. I wiped away a tear near the end when there was a scene depicting a eulogy at a funeral.
  After watching 'The Simpsons' tonight, which did mention the 'Mr. Burns' play, I walked around the neighborhood and rounded up carts. The final total was eight grocery carts and two laundry carts. Actually the total for the day was 12 grocery carts as four were returned this morning. First time I had seen laundry carts. So I ended up with plenty of exercise from it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment