Saturday, May 9, 2015

Fort Des Moines

    I was back at the antique shop near downtown St. Paul this afternoon, and one of the postcards I bought was about the women's Army auxiliary corps at Fort Des Moines, in my native Iowa. Actually it wasn't a typical postcard, but the fold-out kind. This program existed during World War II. I knew the current fort is on Army Post Road, been past it before a few times. Some of the pictures in this folio include the post chapel and post exchange. Another folio post card I bought was of Chicago, and I recognized the image on the back cover. It was of Soldier Field with an obelisk, as I had a postcard of it with 'World's Fair 1933' stamped on it. So I placed the folio in the World's Fair postcard album next to the similar postcard. I like making some nice finds there, actually I found both last week but put them back as I wanted to stick to a budget.
    In the evening I listened to sub teacher's radio show. School bouncer, Michigan, and Rut-roh were guests. School bouncer spoke of a song he performed that is on My-space. I thought about going out to a comedy club but the show I was interested in was sold out. So I decided to stay in and get caught up on things like get more stamps placed on a page. I filled the page so this page is now in a binder. One of my orders from Delcampe arrived, a first day cover of Haiti stamps made for the 1959 Pan-Am Games in Chicago. It honors Jean Du Sable, the first resident. It bothered me that it was sent to my home when I asked it be sent to my PO box, but it looks like the address from Paypal, my method of payment, is what they are going by. I hadn't ordered from this site in two years.
   It was also nice to get to Union Depot for Train Day, meeting Sprinkles the Clown and a man from the National Park Service who had a fish puppet. I toured a railroad car and locomotive.

No comments:

Post a Comment