Thursday, May 21, 2015

School Of Rock

    After work tonight I stayed in downtown St. Paul, or actually Lower-town, and milled around since the grand opening of the Saints baseball stadium, CHS Field, was tonight. One of the things I liked seeing was a band playing songs I recognized, called 'School of Rock'. The announcement said there was a location in an adjacent building, and Eden Prairie as well. I tried hard not to get choked up when they played 'Welcome to the black parade' by My Chemical Romance. The song has powerful lyrics, like 'Savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned'. Then it continues on with 'Defeat your demons' and 'Carry on'. 'Another one bites the dust' by Queen is another one they played. 
      I walked away with some cool (and free) souvenirs. One of them was a bandana depicting the neighborhood. This included a street grid as well as highlighting the stadium and Union Depot. I got it in front of Union Depot. The other notable thing was a 'Go Saints' sign handed out by the St. Paul Pioneer Press paper. I got a bag of Old Dutch chips, but ate them right away. At midday I walked over to the stadium and found out there is a dog park next to it. I looked around inside the souvenir shop but didn't buy anything yet. I wanted more time to look around than what my one hour lunch break allowed. In addition, I already have plenty of Saints souvenirs. So I have to be careful as to
what I get. I did enough studying that I have a good idea about what to buy on my next visit. There was 'Be a fan, take a fan' display in the neighborhood but I just got a business card instead of any
flamenco fans. There was Mounties, or horse patrol, not too surprised as they are used often for big events. Since it is next to the Farmers Market there was activity at the market too. I liked getting a photo of two girls in costume, as a carrot and strawberry. Saints boss Mike Veeck was interviewed by WCCO radio, and I even saw somebody in a dog costume. The tag on the collar said 'Return to Black Dog Cafe'. Some tried to sell me tickets on the street, but I said I paid less than that for Sunday's game. I hadn't planned on staying for the game anyway as there were things I wanted and needed to get done at home. Eventually I went to the Super-America nearby and had some roller grill items since it was dinner time. I finished eating them before I got on the bus home. I liked how there was multiple segments tonight about the new stadium on WCCO-TV. This included the story about the company who bought the naming rights (so named as it was a merger of Cenex and Harvest States, farmer co-ops) but what I didn't like is that no mention was made of the final score. I had to look it up online and found out the Saints beat Fargo-Moorhead 8-7.    

No comments:

Post a Comment