Saturday, May 30, 2015

Lafayette Park And Square, St. Louis

    I went to Lafayette Park and Square in St. Louis today after getting my rental car. I liked reading about this historic neighborhood, and as my dad would say, 'They are playing my song'. I took a walk around the square after finding what I understand to be the 'Chicago house' in the movie 'Up in the air', and found some souvenirs at a nearby shop, a magnet and a postcard. Then it was on to the park. There was some brochures of the park and square so I did take one of each. There was a Washington statue in the park, and a dedication plaque from a chapter of the DAR, or Daughters of the American Revolution. One display spoke of the park being an encampment during the Civil War. I had hoped to see a friend but through text messages I found out she was busy with work, running a nail salon if I am not mistaken. So I decided to continue on to the Botanical Garden, where I got a penny souvenir. There was some wedding photos being taken when I arrived, and after paying for the ticket I went to find the penny machine. It was raining but I had my rain gear, so I was ready. I got a few pictures but then the button on my camera stopped working, and I heard beeps when I tried to take pictures. So it likely means getting a new camera or re-using an old one when I get back home.
    I did make it to the Cardinal museum in Ballpark Village, where I took a quick tour of about 30 minutes. I did learn something, how Stan Musial's mom was fine with him playing baseball and more so than his dad. It reminded me of reading this about Joe DiMaggio, where the mom said 'Leave him alone'. I liked how there was more than just mention of the Cardinals there. Since I have liked reading about Bill Veeck I liked seeing a section about his owning the Browns. There was a rain delay of more than two hours tonight, and the Cardinals lost to the Dodgers 5-1. I had a burger and fries and shake at the Hardee's inside the stadium.  

No comments:

Post a Comment