Monday, May 11, 2015

Rembrandt Paintings

    I saw a copy of a Rembrandt painting at the Bobby and Steve's in Minneapolis tonight. Seemed   like an odd place to display art, anchored to a pole near an entrance. as I recall it was of 'Lucretia'. I went there to get some Godfather's Pizza. I don't know Rembrandt paintings well, I mainly know it as the name of a music group, who did the theme song for the TV show 'Friends'.
    The painting became my lead-off joke tonight at the comedy club. It was a place I hadn't been to in a while, and first time I was there to perform. I liked seeing various beer cans on a wall display. One of them was Pickett's. It reminded me of growing up in Iowa, and the movie 'Take This Job And Shove It'. The movie took place at a brewery in Dubuque, Iowa, and they were switching from Star Beer to Pickett's. The Wikipedia article said this actually happened, so the movie was based on actual events. Notable among the performers was a high energy musician, I hadn't met her before. I didn't know many of the performers as most of them were musicians, but all I care about is getting the stage time. A few were people I hadn't seen in a while.
    After work I went to a reception for the University of Iowa president at the Millennium Hotel in Minneapolis on Nicollet. It was announced that the president was retiring, so it is a farewell tour of sorts. There was a video shown about what has been happening at the University. I did see somebody from the local alumni chapter who spoke of a summer outing. Hopefully I can attend it, I think she said it will be in August and that month is not too booked up yet.    

No comments:

Post a Comment