Saturday, January 21, 2017

the founder movie

tonight I went to see the movie 'the founder' in Eagan, about ray kroc. it meant something to me to see it as I lived in des plaines for most of my 6 years in suburban Chicago. this was the site of the first ray kroc mcdonald's. the original building was demolished and a replica/museum was built on the same site. there is still a location open for business across the street. I liked meeting hamburglar one time at that des plaines location. I also recall from living there how that town had some milestone mcdonald's, like 1000 and 2000. the movie serves as a reminder of how history is written by the victors. I was familiar with how the first one was in California, and how kroc bought out the McDonald brothers. but others seemed to be unfamiliar with it. I've liked some other Michael Keaton roles, such as 'gung ho', and he seemed to be a good pick to play ray kroc. I liked how there was mention of Minnesota in it, explaining why the Minneapolis paper had a photo in reference to it. but it did leave out one notable thing in kroc's life- owning a major league baseball team, the san diego padres. the des plaines location is one of my facebook photos in the 'illinois' album. I do like seeing it during my annual visit to Chicago-land, so this means it is one of my 'old haunts'. it means ordering something there, like a shamrock shake. you can often find me at my neighborhood mcdonald's having an egg mcmuffin on a Saturday morning.
  also notable about the day was attending a demonstration at the Minnesota capitol about women's rights. it was a photographer's dream, and I got plenty of pictures of the signs I saw there. as the saying goes, think globally act locally. can't get to new York city or Washington, DC, for demonstrations, but I can get to them in the twin cities. before I departed, I called my date from last week and said I was no longer interested. I said it was due to being told I would get a callback when I called on a Tuesday night and I didn't. I needed that closure of saying 'no'.
   after the demonstration I went to the library, and then to target to pick up a DVD, of the Charlie brown movie from 2015. I eventually stopped at a Walgreen for a consultation as I have been dealing with a cold for a while, and got some cough syrup for it which should work better than the cough drops I was using. I will want to see when I can get in for an appointment with my primary physician. I ate at a Kentucky fried chicken before the movie, and liked getting a copy of  'coffee news' there. after the movie I came home and rested for a little while, but knew I needed to get up and go to the grocery store. I arrived about 30 minutes before closing. I recognized the cashier from before, he has flashy outfits and said he is a rap musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment