Saturday, November 11, 2017

dare to be different movie

I went to see a movie at Bryant lake bowl in Minneapolis tonight, 'dare to be different', it was part of a film festival I had just heard about for the first time. I had been to this venue many times before, but this was the first time for a movie screening. it was a music documentary about a radio station, WLIR on long island in New York, that played many of the 'new wave' bands of the 1980s before most others did. three songs I heard in it were ones I recognized as ones I had done on karaoke nights. these were: 'back on the chain gang', pretenders. 'private idaho', b-52's. and 'tide is high', blondie. I had seen 2 of these 3 bands in concert, the first two. actually it was at the same concert, in 1998. then I saw the pretenders again a few years later. it inspired some of the songs I did at the karaoke venue tonight, especially the first two. 'view to a kill', duran duran. and 'desire', U2. the third I did was 'take this job and shove it', johnny paycheck. in the closing credits we see joan jett, and it appears the movie title is also the title of one of her songs, but I am not familiar with the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment