Friday, November 24, 2017

lady bird movie

I went to see the movie 'lady bird' in Eagan this afternoon. I liked what I read in the write-up in the Minneapolis paper. it likely helped that they had laurie Metcalf as the mom. she has played unlikeable characters before, such as Sheldon's mom on 'big bang theory'. she played a passive-aggressive mom, and I know what it is like to have one of those! the storyline is about the main character's final year of high school, at a catholic school, around the time of the beginning of the second Iraq war. this movie is more evidence of why I like independent movies. there was a range of emotions, as there was drama as well as comedy. and I said 'whoa!' a few times, as it caught me off-guard. when I was claiming the free popcorn that was added to my loyalty card I was asked what movie I was seeing. I said I am aware it wasn't about the first lady, president lyndon Johnson's wife.
   my 'black friday' was fairly low-key, which is fine with me. I also went to the target near the movie theater and bought a CD and DVD. the CD was Genesis, greatest hits. the DVD was the first 'shrek' movie. I already had it on VHS but I like being able to junk the VHS copy when I get the same movie on DVD. I guess both of these have some meaning. genesis was my first big concert, in ames, iowa. and 'shrek' was a movie I saw an advance screening of, when I lived in suburban Chicago. I was given a free ticket by my former boss and mentor, who said 'I can't go, you go'.
  I saw a comedy show that some friends were performing in this evening, then I did karaoke at the same venue after it was done. blake was one of the three in this show. I liked doing 3 songs at this karaoke venue. it was 'land of confusion' by genesis, 'take a bow' by Leona lewis, and 'bird set free' by sia. it likely helped to be there early in terms of doing more songs than typical.
   I liked getting caught up on watching videos for the season. this morning I saw the movie 'planes trains and automobiles'. I like road movies, but for the first time I realized one hole in the storyline. how long should it take to get from st. louis to Chicago? seems like it takes longer than it should. but as my dad would say, they had to make a story out of it. the most memorable scene for me is when the two are riding in the back of a semi that is hauling cheese, nearing the end of their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment