Wednesday, July 4, 2018

2006 world series DVD

over the weekend I found a DVD about the 2006 world series at a gas station. since the st. louis cardinals won it I said I wanted it. since it is the 4th of july holiday I knew I had more time today to watch it. I did so in the evening. this was the year where the cardinals just barely made the playoffs, winning the division despite losing a lot down the stretch. they beat Detroit 4 games to 1 in the series. this was the year that started with me going to spring training in florida, since the cardinals and twins train there. I haven't been to spring training since, but at least I have been there once. since this was over a decade ago, I had to be reminded of the player movements since then. Fernando Rodney was a pitcher for Detroit then, and is now with the Minnesota twins. the cardinals don't have that many players left from that team, aside from Molina and wainwright. I also liked some of the bonus features on it, such as 'this week in baseball' from 1991, as it had the two managers in that segment- jim Leyland and tony larussa. another was the final out from the 1982 world series. yet another was actor billy bob thornton, the narrator, talking cardinals baseball. he is from Arkansas, and that is part of the region where many are cardinal fans.
   I stayed in for a while as it was raining, and did some writing in the afternoon. I ventured out in the late afternoon, after checking the weather report to find out when there was a break from the rain. I went to an event at a park in Roseville, I had been there before on the 4th of july. I looked around for about 30 minutes, bought an ice cream sandwich, and left. there was a street preacher in the parking lot near the entrance, I have learned to ignore them. I said to somebody as I was leaving how I see religious zealots at these kinds of events all the time, such as when I go to the jesse james festival in  northfield. I went home and had dinner, and shortly after I finished watching the video, I ventured out in hopes of finding stage time. I got a look at the venue's parking lot and said 'this looks problematic' and there was a man with a flag, meaning there was a parking fee for the nearby event, the fireworks show near downtown Minneapolis. so I said 'i need to get out' and I left. as usual, one doesn't need to try very hard to see fireworks on this holiday. while I was driving around I saw plenty of them off in the distance. there were some people with their blinkers on, near an exit on 35W, which told me they might be just watching the fireworks from their cars. so it was all right with me on how the evening unfolded, there are worse ways for a loner to occupy the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment