Wednesday, July 18, 2018

food burn

I got a food burn when having a chicken pot pie this evening, this surprised me as I eat them all the time. I noticed the pain didn't go away from my lip, and I checked the mirror and noticed the burn had ripped off some skin. so of course air is the enemy, and it meant covering it up. that meant getting questions about it when performing tonight, and making it part of my act. when one is a performer it is hard to hide any injuries. it wasn't all that hard to drink a beer though, just use the other side of my mouth.
   it was a night influenced by pearl jam music. the show runner asked what song I wanted as my 'walk-up music' and I was presented with 'yellow ledbetter'. I said it was one of my 6 favorite music acts. then later on another performer heard me talk about favorite pearl jam song, and how a longtime friend is seeing them in concert at Wrigley field in Chicago this summer. this led to me being encouraged to sing at the end of the show, 'immortality'. from his smartphone, while he played the music. guess he couldn't sing well tonight. I spoke of the band being a big part of the soundtrack to my college days in iowa city, although it was hard to out my finger upon song titles from 'vitalogy' at first. I had a much easier time naming ones from ten, and vs. he guessed the one I was thinking of, and when I got home I looked up the album and was reminded of how two others from it were really good. this was 'nothingman' and 'corduroy', the latter being the opening song at the first of two times I saw them in concert at alpine valley, Wisconsin. I said 'this isn't my karaoke night', but of course I liked singing it. the same dude I could tell was trying to have fun with me as he kept asking about the food burn. hopefully the food burn won't last long.
   this morning I got an email, inviting me to an interview Friday afternoon. so now it means preparing for it, but I think I will be fine. I printed a few things at the library in the afternoon, such as the job description. I also spent time on the phone with agencies, but it proved to be fruitless. and I got a charlie brown book ordered on amazon, using some gift card money from answering surveys. a performer from last week's show inspired me to do so, and I said so when I arrived tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment