Sunday, July 22, 2018

won't you be my neighbor movie

this afternoon I went to see the movie 'won't you be my neighbor' in Eagan. it is the documentary about mr. rogers, and his neighborhood. I chose that theater as I have a loyalty card there, and of course I wanted to earn more points. I learned something as usual, which is why I like seeing a documentary movie. it covered the parodies and criticisms as well. it reminds me of being at the Pittsburgh airport in august 2002 as there was a display stating that mr. rogers did his show in that city. it no doubt moved me, at times I wiped away a tear. I think it was due to coming from a broken family and hearing his philosophy it reminded me of what I was missing when I was young- support and encouragement from my own family. I liked how he covered how to explain certain subjects on his show, in case kids would see the news and then have questions about it.
   in the evening I watched the baseball game on fox, cubs-cardinals from Chicago. this was the second game of a day-night doubleheader, the first game was a makeup of a game from april. the cubs won the first 7-2 but the cardinals won the second, 6-3. even though only the second game was shown, it was hard to ignore how it wasn't the only one of the day, that I understood. there was an interview with the new cardinals manager, mike shildt. some mention of getting started doing odd jobs at stadiums when he was young, including orioles minor league teams.
   later on I went to the karaoke bar, and I got one song in near the end of the night. it was 'more than words' by extreme. I chose that one as I saw a stray page from the binder, and said 'that one looks good'. there was a larger crowd than typical, the karaoke jockey kept me updated, saying an entire table wanted to sing. he knew I am a regular at this venue. I noticed some of them had the same shirt on, it was blue and said 'sister act' on the front, and a name on the back, likely the role they played. he said they were part of a theater troupe, and I learn this all the time how a show is often best known as a movie, but it can be done as a play as well. especially in a metro area such as the twin cities that has plenty of live theater venues. it wasn't the regular jockey, but I did see her there at the bar, and she went up to sing at one point. when I arrived there was plenty of cheering for a petite lady singing 'at last' by etta james.

No comments:

Post a Comment