Saturday, July 14, 2018

unwritten, natasha bedingfield

i sang the song 'unwritten' by natasha Bedingfield at a karaoke bar tonight. I was inspired to do so after finding it as the background music in two different youtube videos. the video takes place in an elevator, showing people getting in and out. then at times the scenery switches to being outside. at one point outside, people are enjoying getting wet. there is also a gospel choir. I really liked the lyrics to it, had to look them up of course. with a song title like 'unwritten' it would increase the odds that I would like it. since I started to write much more often, however, one lyric applies to me less. 'staring at the blank page before you'. I can usually think of something to write, so the page isn't blank for long. I do feel that the act of writing helps me 'release my inhibitions', another lyric I liked. and performing does as well. the scenes when they are getting wet make sense, with one lyric being 'feel the rain on your skin'. but I have seen this before in music, when they know how to do the videos to match the words. this was no doubt true in an alanis morissette video, 'hand in my pocket'. I know at times I still get upset about disappointments in my life, but I also know well enough after a while to keep trying. so the other profound lyric, 'the rest is still unwritten', explains what keeps me going.
   I went to the twins game this afternoon. this was the university of iowa alumni event, I have attended it before. we met at a bar near the stadium. I took the light rail to get there. and this is where the fun starts. I am not used to seeing a transit employee at the station, but there was this time. I was getting annoyed that the employee was helping me and I didn't ask for it. usually I can figure things out without much fanfare, and without somebody hovering over me. I was adding value to my fare card. on the ride to the stadium there was a young man listening to music on his phone and he said 'i should have gotten off at this stop, I saw my homeboy'. but he didn't, and also not at the next stop either. the stop after that was the end of the line, the twins stadium. I liked how the event coordinator gave me a number to call with the university that may help me with getting back to work. as usual, there was pushback. I said I never joined a greek house and I was told I didn't have to be to get help from them. I need all the help I can get as going it alone with job searching is in no way a level playing field. but I have felt like that I have no choice when I don't have the same network to consult as others do. the twins game was a good one for a while, twins led 6-4 at the end of the 6th, but the twins lost to tampa bay 19-6. it was my third twins game of the season, but right now I have no other plans to see any more. I like seeing the saints more.


No comments:

Post a Comment