Wednesday, July 4, 2018

dented pudding cup

I finally got around to my weekly grocery store run, since there were no appointments today. I noticed I chose a pack of four pudding cups and one of them was 'dented'. not a big deal to me, and it was hard to notice at first when I prefer to get in and out quick. in many ways it is symbolic, where I know what it is like to be dented as well. and I am the type that will say 'it needs me' since I would expect most people to say they wouldn't want it when it is damaged goods.
   I made a lot of calls about jobs, but right before a holiday there wasn't much to be found. it meant sending an updated resume to a few agencies. one agency left a voicemail, same one I had an appointment with the previous day. it was the branch manager, saying they won't represent me. even though the reasons they gave weren't true, saying things like I was hostile at the interview they sent me on six months ago. and some of it was reported by somebody that no longer works for them. so I told them to take me off their email list, as the branch manager's name was on the email I got last week saying there were jobs available. it was why I had scheduled the appointment. you live, you learn. and I have no choice to move on. somebody will want me.
   I went to two performance venues tonight. I signed up for the wild card at the first but wasn't chosen. it was the first time I had been there since super bowl week, 5 months ago. during their contest I didn't want to go as I didn't make the cut and I need to go where there is stage time. I inquired further about stage time while there, so hopefully I will be performing there again soon. I performed at the second venue, near the end of the night. when I saw happy meal I said that he might not enjoy my set that much since I am unemployed again. I recall he said I was a lot calmer when I went back to work. there is an outdoor part of this venue where many comics like to sit, and going there to find people helped me with finding ideas for my set. somebody noticed my shoes, I said I bought them over the weekend and it prompted me to cover what I did over the weekend in iowa. so I am thankful for a little help here as I found enough ideas to avoid it being all about ranting on being out of work. I heard some comics wanting to a bit about the holiday, since it is a day before the 4th of july. so I told myself I can do this, as it reminded me of living in  suburban Chicago and somebody got it wrong about why we celebrate the holiday. sub teacher was on after me and I said hopefully he liked that one. he gave me a shout-out and said I didn't take a breath during my set. it is nice to hear the perspective of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment