Sunday, October 28, 2018

i've gotta be me movie

I went to see a movie at a film festival this afternoon, at the sabes community center in st. louis park. it was 'I've gotta be me', about Sammy Davis, Jr. when I was looking at what was in the lineup for this year's twin cities film fest, I figured it was best to try to pick only one movie to see. and since I like biographies and documentaries, this one worked for me, along with the schedule of being on a day when no other events were planned, including my performing schedule. it doesn't cover everything about his performing career, such as the 'cannonball run' movies, but it does cover being a guest star on 'all in the family'. as usual, I learned some things from it. there was mention of a big deal surrounding supporting president Nixon in 1972. and plenty was covered from his early life as well. I liked seeing interviews with entertainer colleagues such as jerry lewis, and billy crystal. I was a little worried about being there on time, as the traffic wasn't moving well on one road I was taking to get there. but no big deal, as they had their preliminary speeches and announcements first. so I still arrived before the movie started. there was a Q and A session after it, and then some footage from his own show as well. I do recall the day he died, it was in 1990, same day as 'muppets' creator jim Henson. and there was a cartoon in the paper shortly after it, saying 'what, never seen anyone dance on a cloud before?' I even recall a quote of his was used in a 'simpsons' episode, when krusty the clown's estranged dad was in it. lisa used it as a longshot for them to get over their rift.
   I watched some of the world series tonight, the red sox beat the dodgers 5-1 to win the series 4-1. the red sox were ahead 2-1 early on when I woke up, as I had turned it over to fox while a football game was still on, rams beat the packers. I watched much of the bears-jets game in the afternoon, but knew I would have to leave before it ended to get to the movie. I saw through the end of the 3rd quarter, and the bears were ahead then and went on to win. so I liked how I didn't miss all that much. I am still deciding to free up more sheet protectors, some of them were from my stamp or first day cover collection. I decided that postcards belonged in photo albums with other postcards. some others were freed up as I didn't want to remember failed auditions or interviews. when space is a premium, one must make the use of that space count. so there is nothing wrong with going through every so often to evaluate what should be kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment