Friday, November 30, 2018

north pole express train

this evening I went to union depot in st. paul  as I had a ticket for the north pole express train. I wanted to do this last year but was told it was sold out. I liked knowing it was on a former metra train, as I saw those often when I lived in suburban Chicago. the ride was a fairly short one, as we did not leave the railroad yard. I saw the holiday gas station off in the distance, I knew this is the one on east 7th. I recognized one of the performers, she is a children's entertainer I have seen at a karaoke venue I once went to. there was also a magician, and a guitar player. even a face painter. I had to ask who was manning the shop that was selling candy canes, it was one thing we saw from the train. it looked like it was closed. I also saw an outhouse. it was nice to have cookies and cocoa inside the depot after the train ride was done. one thing I said is a reminder of my insurance background, understanding liability on a 'common carrier'. it explained why we stayed in the yard. plenty of kids on this train, but it wasn't full. so hard to understand why they claim it was 'sold out'.
   I went to another job fair this afternoon, in Shakopee. I saw somebody that recognized me there from previous job fairs. I was also on the phone with an agency, they were responding to applications I had filed this week after speaking with somebody at an earlier job fair. I was asked to complete some assessments, and it sounds like one of the jobs I applied for is the same place I worked at for a month. so it was hard to ignore that when he saw it on my resume, so I answered questions about my time there. I said I was fine with returning, but to a different department. and this was understood.
   I went to perform after being on the train, and of course it was karaoke. I sang 'ho hey' by the Lumineers. it was kind of crowded at the venue, and I was tired, so I was fine with doing just one song. I decided to step outside for a few minutes for some air, but it proved to be a mistake. I ended up getting annoyed with a man there who was trying to act smarter than he was, and liked hearing the sound of his own voice. sadly, this is still a problem for me at times: trying to reason with people that can't be reasoned with. but I have gotten better at just leaving the situation, so this is a rarer occurrence than it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment