Sunday, November 18, 2018

the front runner movie

this afternoon I went to see the movie 'front runner' at the southdale in Edina. I have seen most movies directed by Jason Reitman, including 'tully' in may. he has become a favorite director ever since I saw 'up in the air'. I was familiar with some of the storyline, as it is 'based on a true story', as I was around when it happened in the 1980s. but I was very young then, and I just recall things like Colorado senator gary hart being on a boat called 'monkey business' and the name of the lady, donna rice. most of the movie covers a fairly short timeframe, from when he announced his candidacy to when his campaign ended, about a month later. many of the actors in it are familiar from other Reitman-directed movies, such as j.k. simmons, and vera Farmiga. simmons plays a campaign manager, and Farmiga plays hart's wife. I changed my seat because I grew tired of one couple that kept wanting to talk during the movie. I didn't feel the need to scold them, I figured just plain moving would be a louder statement than anything else I could do. I went from the back of the theater to the front of it. the review in the Minneapolis paper said the movie left it up to the viewer as to what their opinion of the scandal should be. I feel this is a fair assessment. in the end, the main thing I couldn't understand is why this movie is in limited release, at least in the twin cities. there was just one theater in the area showing it. this was why I went to see it on the first weekend, as I wasn't sure how long it would last. much like before, I had some popcorn that was left behind by another patron. I like popcorn and I still hate to see things go to waste.
   I watched some of the pro football games this afternoon, steelers-jaguars was on CBS. steelers were trailing at the half but found a way to win. shortly after it was done, I hit the road to see the movie. and I still can't get NBC on my TV, so I caught the bears-Vikings game in the evening on the radio. I must have been really tired, as I recall it being scoreless and the Bears had just picked up a fumble in the first quarter. when I woke up it was in the 3rd, and the Bears were up 14-0. they went on to beat the Vikings 25-20. after that I did some chores, such as the dishes. I also watched some youtube videos, recommended by somebody from the workforce center that I just met this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment