Friday, November 9, 2018

war eagle, arkansas movie

i watched a DVD movie on loan from the library today, called 'war eagle, Arkansas'.  I got it because I understood it to be a baseball movie, and it was, kind of. but I would have to say it was a little disappointing. for one thing, one of the main characters refuses a college scholarship. why? it made no sense. in the end, it was more about a friendship between a boy with a stuttering problem, and another who was in a wheelchair and had cerebral palsy. there were some actors I recognized in it, such as brian dennehy and mare winningham. it said it was 'based on a true story', and it became more disappointing to me when I saw the special features. it said the friends actually lived in a suburb of little rock, the capital city, and not some rural town. and no mention was made of the 'real ones'
being baseball players. sure, it was a compelling story on some level about a friendship, but no doubt misleading. one thing I liked in it was talk of the sr. louis cardinals, my favorite team. this fits well with the area, since the cardinals once had a minor league team in little rock. and of course it is a neighboring state to Missouri. they talked about great cardinal pitchers, dizzy dean and bob Gibson. then I got it returned to the library as I wanted to get some things printed there. some of this was emails from employers that have scheduled interviews, I have two for Friday. a few other things were printed as well, such as a dairy queen coupon and a receipt for a holiday train ticket for the end of the month.
   I did some karaoke tonight as well, two songs. it was 'cathy's clown' by reba mcentire and 'hold on loosely' by 38 special. it was slow going getting there as it had snowed, and I stayed on secondary roads getting home. I know why I chose the first one, as I had my dad in mind. I once heard the everly brothers version of the former and I said I was more familiar with reba's version. I like trying different songs out. I got annoyed with one patron there and then ignored him after that, while I was waiting my turn to do the first song.


No comments:

Post a Comment