Sunday, June 2, 2019

ft. snelling national cemetery

this afternoon I made my first visit to ft. snelling national cemetery. it was as a volunteer to help collect flags for an organization called 'flags for ft. snelling'. I had heard on the news how they needed help, so I said it would be a good experience to be a part of. I collected over 400 flags, and this is about 1 in 500 markers there. I am not sure how many volunteers were there, but it was called around 3pm and we got started around 12noon. I had done volunteering before, but nothing like this. when I was 12 I recall visiting my grandfather and going with him when he made his rounds to do the same thing. but of course this was rural iowa, and nothing like a big cemetery like this one. I had been to the old fort of the same name as I like visiting historic sites. I found out the cemetery is listed on the national register of historic places as well. I got plenty of exercise in with all of the walking that I did. I decided to be prepared for the event by bringing food with me. I had some peanut butter crackers, as well as bread. we were given bottled water. near the cemetery's information center I saw two big markers, one had the text of the memorial day declaration and the other had the Gettysburg address on it. I think I had seen plaques like these near the front door at the state capitol as well.
   later on in the day I was on my way to cub foods to get some 'budget meals' for the week when I passed by grand old day in st. paul. so I found a parking spot on a nearby street and walked around a little at this event. it was near the tail end so I wasn't there for long. I was a little tired from all of the walking at the cemetery anyway. I got a small cup of fries while there. on my way back to my car I saw a snoopy banner from the year it was the winter carnival theme, in 1990. a lady in front of that house said she was part of the royalty from that year.


No comments:

Post a Comment