Sunday, June 9, 2019

non fiction movie

saw the French movie 'non fiction' at the Edina theater around midday. I enjoyed it because it covered many relevant issues related to book publishing. how it has changed due to things like the internet an e-readers. I saw some American things in it, such as singer Taylor Swift being name-checked. and one actor, the author who wrote about his affairs, holding a Lisa Simpson coffee mug. sometimes it was literal English being said, such as 'feel-good books' and 'feel-bad books'. I think it was an inside joke when Juliette Binoche was in it and there was mention of having her be the one reading the audio version of a book. I went to the first screening of the day so I would have time for other chores and errand running.
   when I got home I had a late lunch, and then went to Eagan to have some ice cream at the dairy queen. good idea, as there was discount coupons for Valleyfair. then I went to the Hy-Vee and got two TV dinners and a bag of mini-donuts. it was a reminder of basic business class as the bag was $2, not much more than if I had decided to get just a small pack of 6, which I couldn't find. then I did some laundry, and by then it was time for evening TV shows. 'Last Man Standing' on Fox seems to be an intelligent comedy, starring Tim Allen. it was why I kept it on even though I had hoped to see 'the Simpsons' on at this time, as sometimes it is. but it was still on at 7pm, the episode where Lisa ends up in Canada for a while. it also is a joke about defunct retailers as one scene shows the Toys-R-Us giraffe trying to hang itself.
   before I went to the movie, I decided to see what I could order with points from a loyalty card that I have to the Eagan movie theater. since it closed and that is the last one in Minnesota owned by that chain I figured I had no other opportunities to earn points. and it appears that they expire after a while if not used at all. so unlikely I will end up getting a free movie ticket, it was what I had hoped for. I ordered four items, still had to pay for shipping. one was socks, one was a keychain. the other two items were for a movie called 'Missing Link', Wikipedia said it was a box-office bomb, an animated movie. I ordered a puzzle, and some stickers. it would have been a shirt, same number of points as the puzzle, but it looked like the only size left was extra-small, too small. I noticed that the 'price' had been slashed on many items for this movie, in terms of the points needed to order it. although one item, an activity book, was listed as 'sold out'. so it likely means seeing it as a Redbox rental when it is available there. I have said it many times before how I am willing to give some movies a chance as a rental that I wouldn't see in theaters.





No comments:

Post a Comment