Friday, August 9, 2019

a star is born movie, judy garland

i watched a DVD copy of 'a star is born', the one from 1954 starring judy garland. it was due back at the library today, so it was time to watch it. I had waited because it was long, nearly 3 hours. although I could tell some scenes were added back in, not seeing actual actors but still photos. of course seeing last year's movie version starring brad cooper and lady gaga spurred more interest into the earlier versions. much of the story was similar in these two, except this one from the 50's was more about acting than singing. I liked the passion in some scenes, and this included hearing judy's voice which reminded me of her role in 'wizard of oz'. I didn't watch much of the special features, just the theatrical trailers from all three versions up to that point. when I returned it to the library, I decided to check the database to see if other versions were available. I lucked out and found the first one, from the 1930s. it is shorter, so I would like to think that I won't take the entire week to watch it.
    not much happened on the job front. I did get a callback from a network contact, while I was watching the movie, so I paused it. this led to me signing up for the job fair at an office I hadn't seen yet, which will be next week. I aired plenty of my frustration about job searching. after returning the movie to the library and printing some things, I went to a Walgreen for what is now my weekly order. then shortly thereafter it was on the road again, to get on the light rail to the fringe festival. no shifts of ushering today, but there were two shows I wanted to attend this evening. one was about a high school girl struggling to make friends, the other was social commentary with a historical figure as a backdrop. I reviewed both, gave a higher rating to the former. the latter couldn't decide between being a historical piece or social commentary. I liked some of the jokes but others just 'didn't land' with me. I saw whopper at the latter one, along with his co-star, the david spade look-alike. another one I had recognized was the moderator from the nerd podcast show from the previous weekend. I saw yemen native outside of a comedy venue when I was headed to a gas station to get a little godfather's pizza. after that it was back home on the light rail. then eventually it was on to do karaoke, and I sang 'life is a highway' by tom Cochrane.

No comments:

Post a Comment