Saturday, August 17, 2019

american empire lecture

I went to ft. snelling in the afternoon and listened to a lecture about America as an empire. it was from a visiting college professor that did a book signing at the end of the event. it did cover some things that weren't in the history books I had read. I wrote down four of them. one, how plans were at one point to have a much larger set-aside for native americans than just Oklahoma. two, how there were patriotic songs with 'columbia' in the name that I had never heard of. patriotic songs with 'america' mentioned weren't until the 20th century. three, a quote from the governor of the Philippines saying the land was being ignored by the US government in world war two. four, how the british started 'empire day' and America's answer to it was 'flag day'. both started during world war one. as the saying goes, 'as we seek so shall we find'. so I am proud of the opportunities to continue my independent study of history as my time at the u. of iowa gave me a life-long love of learning. before it I went to a job fair, and I am told I should hear something real soon, such as Monday, about interviews for available roles.
    I got some things ordered this evening. this included a st. paul saints baseball ticket for a week from now, and another amazon order for a charlie brown special on DVD. earlier in the day, I got an advance ticket for the state fair at a cub foods location. this evening I did some karaoke. I sang 'walk of life' by dire straits. a man was next to me at the bar, said he was new to the area, didn't ask him where he was from. he spoke of 'wis-dells', it was like 'oh, you mean Wisconsin dells'.

No comments:

Post a Comment