Sunday, August 4, 2019

paris is burning movie

I saw the movie 'paris is burning' this evening at the lagoon in uptown Minneapolis. it was part of a busy day. as I recall, this movie caused a dust-up when I was at the university of iowa related to their 'sec act' policy. apparently it was shown in a class but nobody was warned about the content. it is about drag queens in new York city. I saw it and nothing was shocking to me at all. it is about real people and real life, and I like watching documentaries as I want to understand things better. it had nothing to do with the city of paris and there was just one clue as to how the movie got its name, as I recall it was the name of a fashion show. as I was leaving I had somebody tell me that they lived in Harlem during the time of the 'vogue' movement that was being documented in the movie. I noticed how some of these fashion shows were happening on what looked like a basketball floor that said 'elks', wondering the meaning of it. I have heard of the elks lodge.
    the day started early by going to the pancake breakfast at Canadian days in little Canada. it was no problem finding parking this early. I liked getting in line for pancakes early as the line moved quick. I had nearly finished them by the time the bagpipe band started playing, and then I got up to get a better view and some pictures of them. I liked how they had a dancer this time, some years they didn't have one. after their performance I got a good look at the car show. I saw some rare cars such as a british ford car.
   I had another shift of ushering that started around midday, and due to it I decided to change my schedule of seeing shows for the day. I saw a performer that was in line and found out he wasn't doing every performance of a show at another venue. so I took the light rail back to the park and ride after my shift and then was at home for a little while. I saw one show  in the early evening, a one-man show about the family oh john wilkes booth, the actor-assassin of Lincoln. after the movie I went home again, but after a little while it was on to sing karaoke. I did 'broken hearted me' by anne murray. I recall hearing it on an episode of 'cold case'. I was wiped out by the time I got home after doing karaoke. no surprise at all with all I had done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment