Friday, August 23, 2019

finger printing no-go

I had a finger printing appointment for the census bureau this morning but it was a no-go. I drove over to an office depot and arrived when I was told to arrive, and yet I was told the system was down and my candidate number was not recognized. no information given as to when it might be up and running again. I spent over an hour, calling four different numbers and placed on hold numerous times, all to no avail. so I still don't know yet if I will have a job as I am running out of time to get the finger printing done. I am only given a week to finish it. I seem to have the worst luck ever, as the man at the office depot said it was the first time they were ever unable to complete it and they had done hundreds of them before. in a cruel joke, I get home tonight after doing karaoke and it looks like the system is up and running as I was able to make my own appointment. earlier, I couldn't, had to call the number I was given. so my second attempt will be just before midday on Saturday. I have a business card for office depot so I know it is best to call in advance this time to see if everything is a go on their end as well.
   since it is a Friday I wasn't expecting anyone to call about jobs so I figured it was a good day to go to the state fair in the afternoon. actually there was one call, from an agency, when I was waiting to take the bus. but they didn't have all of the information yet about the role so I was told to expect a call about it later in the afternoon. except the call never happened. such is how it ends all too often when working with a staffing agency. I now have two phone interviews scheduled for Monday morning. one of them arrived by email, after numerous attempts to reach HR. one time I got the voicemail for their general number, which doesn't sound the most professional to me. the other one was a call I made while I was dealing with the aforementioned 'no-go'. there was another one where HR was hard to get ahold of, I was holding up my end of the bargain with email and voicemail, and then I get a rejection letter. so I may not be missing much when they sound even less professional.
  as for the state fair, I am proud of how I am trying harder to take way fewer souvenirs home with me. I was able to get all of them into my denim jacket. I have a census day button, a U of M hockey schedule, 2 postcards from the newspaper museum, and 2 CDs about Minnesota history. I did the typical stops for me, getting a pork chop to start the day and ending the day with the big slide. I also like the fine arts building. I made it over to the agricultural building to see the crop art. the fancy comic was one of the pieces of crop art. but I also liked seeing charlie brown, johnny cash, and grain belt beer. in the center of the building I liked seeing displays about famous minnesotans, as there was a charlie brown and snoopy display. there was also one about 'wizard of oz' actress judy garland. there was some karaoke there, but they were full when I tried to sign up with just under an hour left. I still did some karaoke at my typical venue this evening, I sang 'steady as she goes' by the raconteurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment