Monday, August 19, 2019

bad times at the el royale movie

I looked through a package I had ordered in June with movie souvenirs in it, and decided to check redbox to see if any of those three movies were now available there. all of them were, and I decided to watch 'bad times at the el royale' first. it was at a box farther away than the others, might have been out longer. the souvenir about it, a keychain, said 'October 12' as the premiere at theaters. I did not know many of the actors in it, just jeff bridges. I am not sure what genre it belongs in, definitely not a comedy. more like a thriller. there was a vacuum cleaner salesman, priest, singer, and kidnapper all staying at the same hotel on the California-Nevada line. apparently this was the reno-lake Tahoe area. it is a 'period piece', there was a clip of a president Nixon speech about the Vietnam war. nothing was as it seemed to be for each of the characters in it, not even the hotel desk clerk, as a 'back story' was given. the hotel looked cool, with a jukebox like nothing I had seen before. it sure was a weird movie to say the least. the body count was high, not many were left at the end.
    I attended a greek festival at a church in st. paul in the early afternoon, parking about a block away near the governor's mansion. but I didn't stay for long. I evoked one of those yogi berra quotes to describe what I was seeing: 'nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded'. I had a sample of some pork chops I think, the stand was selling seasoning. the lines were long at all the other tents, and I wanted to get some lunch in so I left. I had a sandwich at a jimmy john's instead.
   another notable thing about the day was placing another amazon order, I think for the first time since june. it was for another charlie brown DVD. I have been chipping away at the list of 45 TV specials, and have well over half of them. most are now on DVD, but not all. but I have been unwilling so far to get more videos on VHS since I don't use my VHS player much now. the one I ordered has 'short summer' on it,  and much like some of the other TV specials I have it in book form. while searching on amazon I discovered more ideas for charlie brown books to order, such as those produced at the time of an anniversary of the comic strip. there is also another edition of the series of encyclopedias that I don't have yet. I wanted to pace myself I guess. I liked using some gift card money from enterprise rent-a-car surveys and I still have some left.

No comments:

Post a Comment