Thursday, August 1, 2019

ennui is french

I went to do karaoke tonight, and after I did 2 songs I went into the back area to do ladder golf. I heard people at a table discuss the word 'ennui' saying they didn't understand how the spelling doesn't match up with the pronunciation. finally I heard somebody say 'it's French' and I said 'thank you'. I knew it all along. I spoke of taking 4 years of french in high school. but that wasn't necessarily where I learned the word. it is used in english to refer to 'boredom'. I know Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan spoke of growing up in 'suburban ennui' as he was from suburban Chicago. it was nice finding the word online, as it said it was a 'loan word' from french. sometimes the term is that the word is 'borrowed', close enough. it also said the meaning is close to 'annoy', another word absorbed from the french language. before this i spoke with somebody for a little while after my second song, saying he liked the selection. although he kept getting it wrong as to what band member of the pumpkins died, it wasn't the drummer, but the tour keyboardist. the 2 songs i did were 'come undone' by duran duran, and 'disarm' by smashing pumpkins. so there you go about the discussion i had. it was nice to hear some clapping after it, as this meant many were paying attention and enjoying it.
   before this I went to an event related to Canadian days in little canada, their annual festival. there was ice cream available from culver's, so i got a root beer float. there was a 'kid friendly' rock band performing at the band shell. the festival will get started in earnest on friday.
   I started the morning with calling selective service to get my registration number, then i was able to complete the application with the census bureau. i also wanted to get to a workforce center to see who could help with tweaking my resume, and i went to the one in woodbury per the advice from the stillwater job fair from the previous day. after this i briefly was home to get ready for a job fair, and it was near mall of america and the airport. i spoke with all of the companies represented, and some of them sound promising. one of them said it required a 3-year commitment, and as long as the pay is good i am not going to have any heartburn about it. after i got home there was some follow-up calls in relation to some recent interviews. but eventually i didn't know what to do, and laid down. falling asleep is one way to handle waiting for a call for interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment