Thursday, January 24, 2013

Frankly Mr. Shankly

    I did get a response to the Facebook posting about the song by The Smiths, 'What Difference Does it Make?' The comic spoke of another Smiths song, 'Frankly Mr. Shankly'. It was an honest song about fame, but delightful as well. I read the lyrics first, then listened to it on Youtube.
   I had the day off from work so I could a Roosevelt mentoring event, it was in Minnetonka. We ended up doing a science experiment where we ripped out the cotton from diapers, proving the water- absorbing power of the crystals inside. We had Panera Bread sandwiches for lunch. At first I didn't know what to discuss with my student, when asked about my occupation. Eventually we spoke of my outside interests, which more recently included ordering old postcards from E-bay. I found out food was another good subject, most people like to talk about that. I spoke well of Erbert and Gerbert sandwiches, one of the loyalty programs that I have.
   I made it home in time to rest a little before watching 'Millionaire' and Jeopardy'. As usual I learned something, as one of the 'Jeopardy' answers was Alice Walker, when in the category of authors. I read one of the issues in 'The Writer' magazine and a reference was made to 'The Color Purple', something that Alice Walker wrote. I know it was also a movie, but haven't seen it.
  This evening I watched two episodes of 'Big Bang Theory'. The syndicated rerun was when Bernadette called howard a 'Putz', after Howard's mom ended up in the hospital. The first-run was one where Penny had somebody write a history paper for a college class for her. After this I ended up at the library to return a video and print things. Then I went to Best Buy to get a CD, I decided to get Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP', my 6th Eminem CD if you count the '8-Mile' soundtrack, a semiautobiography. This will also put me over the top on getting a gift certificate in their loyalty program. I really like 'The Real Slim Shady' on this CD, it was where he said 'Will the real Slim Shady please stand up'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment