Wednesday, January 23, 2013

He Doesn't Get It From Me

    I saw the coworker who likes sports multiple times today when I was making my rounds to pick things up. At one point he spoke to a colleague about his son who reads a lot and said 'He doesn't get it from me'. I then spoke of how I did benefit from reading programs at schools and libraries, and how my prize for finishing second in a reading contest was a Charlie Brown book. I still have it, 'The Great Pumpkin'. But of course parents are also a big part of this, as many parents do read to their kids. And some of my elementary schoolteachers would read certain books to us. I ended up getting my own copies of some of these books, like 'From the mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler'. Another was 'When the Boys Ran the House' and I liked this one a lot as they ended up at the World Series, for Game One. Then there's 'Million Dollar Jeans'. Some public service ads also advocated reading the newspaper as a way of promoting literacy, at least before the earthquake that was the Internet happened.
   I saw the news about Hillary Clinton testifying about embassies and at one point she said 'What difference does it make?' I searched the term online and found out it is also a song title, by The Smiths. A fellow comic is known for what I call 'Music Education' in his Facebook postings, so this comic sure has influenced me in this area.
   I saw an article about how the NBA's New Orleans Hornets will change their name after the season ends, to the Pelicans. I liked hearing this as it's more appropriate for the city, especially since their minor league baseball team once had this name. Saw ABC's 'Nightline' show tonight and there was a feature about 'Cat Fishing', which has received plenty of attention since the Notre Dame football player said he was a victim of it, an online dating scam.

No comments:

Post a Comment