Tuesday, January 1, 2013

All Is Quiet

  I recall the U2 song 'New Years Day' where the lyrics include 'All is quiet' on this day. Hard to say if this was the case for me. I did watch some of the Rose Bowl parade, which was followed by one of the day's football games on ABC, the Capital One Bowl. I watched it with my date for a while, but then we left for a gathering in the afternoon. It was tied at 31 at the time, and I found out Georgia went on to win the game, 45-31 over Nebraska. This game is played in Orlando at the Citrus Bowl, a previous name for the game. It has been around since the 1940s, and was once known as the Tangerine Bowl as well. The venue is next to Tinker Field, where the Minnesota Twins had spring training for a while. I did get a glimpse of it when in Florida over a year ago, but we didn't stop as the driver wanted to get through the city before rush hour hit. I understand how Tinker Field is on the National Register, and in an aerial view during ther game it looked like there were cars parked on the baseball stadium's infield. Iowa has played in this game once, and it still has a tie-in with their conference, the Big Ten. This was one of six games scheduled for the day, including the Outback Bowl in Tampa, and I saw Iowa play in it three years ago. Iowa beat South Carolina that day, and South Carolina beat Michigan in this year's edition.
    I like reading the history of college football bowl games, having attended two of them myself. Besides the Outback Bowl, I also saw the Holiday Bowl in San Diego in 2006. But it is hard at times to keep up with it, when the corporate sponsors can change often. I found out this was true for one bowl, known as the Russell Athletic Bowl. It is in Orlando, so this one was once called the Champs Sports Bowl and is played about a week before the Capital One in the same stadium. It was originally known as the Blockbuster Bowl and played in Miami. I know other bowl games have survived as they were moved. This was true for the Liberty Bowl, so named as it started in Philadelphia but has been moved to Memphis.   

No comments:

Post a Comment