Friday, January 18, 2013

Ralph Lauren Touch Screen Gloves

   At lunchtime I went to the Macy's liquidation sale and got some gloves, since mine were in need of replacement. The ones I bought are known as 'touch screen gloves' from Ralph Lauren, and I think I know why. Some touch screens don't work if gloves are on. I found this out at a Redbox when trying to rent a movie. And I prefer not having to take off gloves when it's cold. During this same lunch hour I also used two of my loyalty cards, for Erbert Gerbert sandwiches and Walgreen. I needed toilet paper and knew it wouldn't get me points at Walgreen so I got more than just that. In addition, I bought the yogurt granola bars again, as those things are tasty.
   This morning I had two odd dreams, dealing with two different comedian friends. One of them wanted to be intimate with me in an abandoned Subway sandwich shop, I said no. But it advanced a little too far. The other was me taking care of their car, but I was still late for school. Not sure what the first one means, but I think I know the meaning of the second. Since I am still doing things like getting postcards of Newton, Iowa on E-bay it means I still think about my hometown fairly often even though I don't visit much now. And I recall in the dream how the car was a column shift, much like my first car. Even though I don't think about it much, a 1976 Ford LTD, I'm sure I will never forget my first car.
  I liked attending a member event at The Loft in Minneapolis tonight. First there was the happy hour and then a reading from three writers. They were out of cheese by the time I got there, I was a little bummed about this as I like cheese. The first wrote about 3 girls killed at a camp in Oklahoma in 1977. The next did some family stories, especially about their grandma, and it included one about oxtail soup. It was where she said the name 'Richter' was German for judge. The third spoke of the businessman who made sea monkeys popular. The sea monkey man later married an actress from the adult movie known as 'Venus in Furs'. At the cocktail party after the reading, I heard a woman say 'That's the beautiful thing about divorce'. I said to myself I didn't think divorce was beautiful. I drank a Summit beer, though this was a wine crowd. I was asked how I liked it, I said I like Grain Belt more. And how I liked seeing some Grain Belt murals around the Twin Cities. I got pictures of some, in one case I was thankful as the building has since been demolished. Then I was asked if I could sing the Hamm's song, 'From the land of sky-blue waters'. I saw somebody I recognized right away, based on the nametag as I had taken his travel writing class. To somebody else I spoke of my most popular blog entries, this included one about socks I bought at the airport in Iceland. She did say they have good socks there. In a cafe on the lower level as I was leaving the event, I noticed a bookcase and one of the books there was 'Up In The Air'. I knew it had been written by a Midwesterner.
   After the event, it should come as no surprise that I picked up two Godfather's pizzas, since Bobby and Steve's is nearby. A state trooper went inside shortly before I did. I overpaid for parking a little, wasn't sure how much time I needed. but it's better than the alternative. The newer meters where a debit card can be used are nice. On the drive home I was left wondering if I could finally get another song in my head besides 'Mandolin Rain' by Bruce Hornsby and The Range. Last night, I heard 'Magnet and Steel' by Matthew Sweet, and tonight it was 'The Story' by Brandi Carlile, either of those would do. Especially when 'Magnet' was in a road movie I liked, 'Overnight Delivery'.
   I did watch a video on loan from the library after the event, it was 'My Beautiful Laundrette'. I've visited laundromats many times before, and I was interested in how they would do a movie about one. It also helps that Daniel Day Lewis is in it. The movie was from 1985. It taught me how racial tension is an issue in Great Britain as well, not just in America. In this case it was between native-born Brits (Anglos) and Pakistanis. I liked how there was plenty of information about the movie in the Wikipedia article I found. It led me to look up another article, where it said the term 'Laundromat' was originally a brand name for Westinghouse.
   I did watch 'Nightline' on ABC for the first time since it got a new time slot. Notable was a feature about a big crocodile being hunted in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment