Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Kate Urquhart Benefit

   I went to the comedy club tonight as usual and I found out it became a benefit event for a fellow comic, Kate Urquhart. Hadn't seen her in a while, was informed she had just died of cancer. According to her Facebook page, it was on Sunday. I bought five raffle tickets and walked away with one item, it was a comedy shirt. When the comic who donated it saw this he asked about signing it, but it's a black shirt except for the letters and that's hard to do. I was thankful he was willing to exchange it for a size that fit me, as medium was too small for me. Hadn't seen him in a while, but knew about some of his escapades on Facebook. Must go where the work is. Big crowd tonight, standing room only, saw plenty of fellow comics there. This included two of them that I'd like to add to my 'Ring of Honor', those that I have pictures with. So far it is four. But I didn't bring my camera with me so it will have to wait for another time. I am reminded of one of her jokes, about 'Be the HR incident that you read about'. It was the inspiration for one of the gift baskets at the silent auction, which was her version of Margaritas, 'Katearitas'. More than once I spoke of how it seemed appropriate to be there tonight, as it was two funerals and a wedding that got me into comedy. One of those events was a benefit event for a co-worker who was dying of cancer. So yes it's bittersweet.
   I liked how my car started tonight without too much trouble, wasn't sure since it's still near zero and I didn't run it on Monday. Not too much was notable about the mail today despite no delivery on Monday. The main thing was seeing how a postcard from E-bay arrived. It was a lackluster day at work, hard to find the energy and I wasn't as focused as I wanted to be. So some work I wanted to get done will wait another day. But I'm sure I will be fine on getting caught up in short order.  

No comments:

Post a Comment