Sunday, January 6, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook Movie

  I went to see the movie 'Silver Linings Playbook' with my date in the afternoon in St. Paul at the
Highland Theater. It was my first time at this venue, and I like seeing these older and smaller theaters. When I was a youngster in central Iowa I liked being able to walk to the theater, and it's really hard to do this anymore when most theaters are huge cinemas nowhere near residential areas.
  I will admit that I didn't know much about the movie before going to see it, but it was enough to hear about two actors I like being in it- Robert DeNiro and Jennifer Lawrence. I knew about the main character dealing with mental illness as well. I truly ended up pleased with it, as the story worked real well for me. Plenty of intelligent jokes in it, like asking for an apology from Ernest Hemingway. But this wasn't the only literary reference in it, as there was mention of 'Lord of the Flies' as well. Or saying how much they like Ben Franklin as it takes place in Philadelphia. Or how they found a way to merge interests in pro football and dancing, which are way different.
   I have liked Jennifer Lawrence since I had seen 'Winter's Bone' but I didn't see 'Hunger Games'. I've seen plenty of Robert DeNiro movies, hard to say which one I like the most. One that really stands out is 'Midnight Run' from 1988 when he played a bounty hunter. I watched 'Bang the Drum Slowly' in college as I read the book for a class. I like baseball movies, and I knew this was an early role for him. There was 'Raging Bull' as well, along with 'Goodfellas'.
   After the movie we went to the Radisson in Roseville for the starving artists sale, but we arrived just as they had closed. We went on to the Twins pro shop, and got tickets for the fanfest later this month. Also went to a world market store with candy and snacks from various nations. I recognized some shortbread cookies, may have seen them at Walgreen before- Walker, from Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment