Friday, January 11, 2013

Macy's Liquidation Sale- St. Paul

    I went to the Macy's liquidation sale in downtown St. Paul earlier today. Bought two pairs of socks, with all of the discounts it was just under $5. I looked around some but I figured more purchases could wait. The sale just began on Monday, and there's still plenty available. I tend to be careful when I shop at these kinds of sales as they remind you how 'All sales are final'. There were some nice winter gloves as well, but even being half-off they were still more than what I normally pay. They were brands like Isotoner, and the minimum price before the discount was $45, some were as much as $85. I don't have to buy gloves often, but I don't recall paying THAT much. This is likely since I often shop at discount stores like Target.
   I watched 'History Detectives' with my date tonight, first time in a while. Segments included a powder horn from the French and Indian War, along with an almanac from the American Revolution era and the show was able to find the man's grave next to a Boston church. I was also intrigued by the segment about the national anthem, as there was a group involved with divising the music for it as of course it was originally a poem by Francis Scott Key. John Philip Sousa was one of those on this committee, I think he was the only one with name recognition. A small part of one of his songs, 'The Thunderer', was played in this particular segment. I liked this song in the Clint Eastwood movie 'Bronco Billy' as well as in the play 'Teddy and Alice' about President Theodore Roosevelt and his daughter.  On public TV I noticed they were doing a feature about actor Cary Grant, at first I wasn't sure who it was about but I kept hearing the name 'Archie'. I had the paper with me and had the answer, and I knew his real name was Archie Leach. We largely saw this much by accident while the tape of 'Detectives' was being readied.

No comments:

Post a Comment