Monday, January 14, 2013

Mandolin Rain Song

   Over the weekend I at one point spoke of the song 'Mandolin Rain' by Bruce Hornsby and The Range when I heard a banjo. This is due to mention of a banjo in the lyrics. Well after I was at the comedy club tonight I told myself I needed to hear this song again, so I found it on Youtube. One some levels, it is a haunting song, but I like it. 'Listen to the mandolin rain, listen to the banjo wind, listen to the tears roll down my face as she turns to go'. I seemed to hear a piano more than a mandolin, for whatever reason. This is in contrast to 'Losing My Religion' by REM, where I clearly hear the mandolin in it. In some ways it is no accident that both music acts use this instrument, as I understand country musicians like using it and both bands are from southern states. REM is from Georgia, Bruce Hornsby is from Virginia.
   At work we got some training to take care of a system being managed by the theater guy, who has left the company of course. Overtime is being offered to eliminate the backlog this week, hard to say how much I will end up doing. I was asked to cover for a colleague's normal duties in the afternoon so I had no time to try this new thing myself.
   It was nice to get picked tonight at the comedy club. I was number 11 in the lineup, the latest I've appeared if I'm not mistaken. I did some new jokes, they went well. This included one about being asked to eat a Reese's peanut butter cup. I was asked because the man's wife didn't want him having it as he has diabetes. I am still surprised how sometimes I get laughs before I start telling the joke. I take it as a vote of confidence in my abilities when I do an intro like 'I hope we all had a nice Christmas and New Year's, I know I did.' This was just meant to be a setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment