Sunday, September 29, 2013

Alarm at Hell's Kitchen

    I was in a comedy show tonight and was brought on by a fog machine. It tripped the fire alarm and I continued my set. It was my first paying gig and it will be a memorable one. Thankful I got to be a part of The Turkeys show at Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis. There was a rehearsal earlier in the day where I heard more about my role. Went to Bobby and Steve's for dinner after rehearsal, the chicken was recommended and it was good, nearly a pound of it and I ate just half for now.
   It was a fairly full day, starting with having Booya soup at Highland Park in St. Paul, a police band was there. Then it was on to the Lagoon Theater and saw the movie 'When Comedy Went To School', about comedians in the Catskills. Interviews with Sid Caesar, Jerry Lewis, and Jackie Mason were prevalent. I was looking at the CD's before the movie at Cheapo Records and saw a fellow comic on my way out, but we didn't speak. I was in a rush to get to the movie.
    As I drove home the song I heard on the radio was 'Applause' by Lady Gaga. This will be the song that reminds me of this benchmark night in my life and in my comedy career. Much like 'I'm Yours' by Jason Mraz before it, 5 years earlier, when I first performed comedy. With the Mraz song I like the clever lyrics, 'Win some or learn some' along with 'Won't hesitate no more'. Earlier in the year,(2008 that is) due to my grandma's funeral, I know I played one song a lot: 'Ode To My Family' by The Cranberries.    

No comments:

Post a Comment