Saturday, September 7, 2013

Incredible Burt Wonderstone Movie

   I rented another Redbox movie tonight, 'Incredible Burt Wonderstone', when I was at Walgreen getting a photo enlarged. It was a movie that I got a poster for at the comedy club just before its release to theaters. There were some things that I liked about it, like the cameo from magician David Copperfield. I ended up not liking Jim Carrey much in it as he played the rival to the two magicians in it. Some of the music I recognized as well, and enjoyed hearing like 'Everybody Dance Now' by C and C Music Factory. And then there was 'Cantaloop' by Us-3. Trying to think about what in particular that I didn't like about it. First thing I can think of is it doesn't seem to work that well doing a magician movie as a comedy. I know there was a 'Simpsons' episode about magic, but even though 'The Simpsons' is a comedy show they do social commentary as well. I like documentaries, so a documentary about actual magicians would work better for me.
   I went to another high school football game today, in the afternoon. St. Paul Highland Park beat St. Paul Harding 25-0, after leading 12-0 at halftime. When comparing it to the one from the previous day, it was not even close even though the admission fee was a dollar cheaper today. I think it proves the big difference between city and suburban schools, on the funding they receive. The player rosters were separate, I am used to programs not being 'build your own' and I had to go back and get the visiting team roster after noticing all I had was the home team's. Then there was the concession stand. While it was nice to have actual displays of what food and drink was available, I chose those and then was told they were just displays. Way easier to just have a list on the wall of what is available, or ask them. Then there was the wait for the hot dog. I paid and then was told it was a 10-minute wait for hot dogs, doesn't make sense as I am used to them being ready before ordering. There was just one concession stand as well, usually a stadium has more than one.
   The waffle breakfast at South St. Paul was nice this morning, but I had a hard time finishing the second waffle as I was getting full. There were graduation pictures in the cafeteria, and I did find 'The one I call Filibuster'. This was the nickname for an ex-coworker. Also liked seeing the murals inside their post office. One of them depicted a gate from the former Armour stockyard.
   In the evening I made it to Cheapo Records in St. Paul and found 2 CDs I like, but needed help finding one of them so I asked. It was 'Rise Above', 24 Black Flag songs to benefit the West Memphis Three. I was inspired to find it after seeing this story as a Redbox movie recently. The other one I got was Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way'.

No comments:

Post a Comment