Friday, September 20, 2013

North St. Paul vs. Richfield Football

    This evening I went to another high school football game. It was homecoming for North St. Paul, playing Richfield. I arrived midway through the first quarter, the North Polars were already ahead 14-0. But there was plenty of action after this. Richfield kicks a field goal, 14-3 at the end of the first quarter. Then North St. Paul really pours it on, and it is 40-3 at the half. They missed two extra points. The last TD of the half was set up by an interception. I liked seeing the senior girls take the field at halftime as usual. They put on gaudy outfits and let loose with some crazy dancing. I wish I was that comfortable with myself at that age, but I wasn't. Second half begins, the scoring slows down. This is likely due to the second unit playing. It was 47-3 at the end of the third quarter, and 47-9 for a final score. It seemed like a quick game, just two hours. On the drive home I stopped at a Super-America as I needed to go to the bathroom. I picked up two Kit-Kat bars as I saw it would get me 300 points on my loyalty card.
    No postal mail arrived, though there were some notable emails like forms related to an upcoming writer's event. There was also a strange one that said they needed to ask me about a relative named Hector. I said I had no relatives by that name and didn't know you either. Hopefully that is the end of it, but I wouldn't count on it.
    On E-bay I was searching for items from my hometown of Newton, Iowa and found some press photos from the 1938 Maytag strike, which lasted 3 months. They were up for auction, I made the minimum bid on one of them and was the only bidder so it's mine! I had heard about this strike before, how martial law was declared. It received national attention for this reason. A barber in my hometown showed me a card issued to a man permitting him to deliver milk- apparently during the time of martial law.

No comments:

Post a Comment