Sunday, September 8, 2013

Rise Above: Black Flag Songs

    It was an eventful day for me. With all of the driving I decided to bring music with me. It was the ones I had bought at Cheapo the day before: Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' and 'Rise Above' from the  West Memphis 3 benefit concert. Really liked 'TV Party' on the 'Rise Above' CD.
     First stop was the Jesse James festival in Northfield. Saw the bank robbery re-enactment twice. I made it just in time to see the first one of the day. Right before this I bought my festival button. I got some postcards, was careful not to buy duplicates, at their gift shop. I later found a secondhand store that was closing, and bought some Charlie Brown books. There were some old postcards as well, including two of artwork, apparently frescoes from a French church. At least this was what I understood when it was in French, and I did study this language in high school. I liked finding a plastic Charlie Brown Christmas ornament, and a Simpsons figurine- it appeared to be Milhouse as 'Radioactive Man'. The owner spoke of being blind in one eye. The food and drink was nice as well, got a soft serve chocolate shake and some popcorn- at different stands.
   Then it was on to the Renaissance Festival. I arrived just as the Robin Hood show was starting, so I made a beeline for it and it looks like I didn't miss much. I did plenty of walking, which is what I prefer as it is good exercise. I liked getting a pork chop there, and riding an elephant again. There was also a dance troupe dancing to bagpipe music. And a man balancing various ice sculptures on his head. Puke and Snot- the comedy duo- was a place I visited for just a few minutes. Jousting, mermaids, the torture museum- they have a wide variety of things there. Near the end of my visit I was eating the pork chop and saw a 'Courtly dance troupe'. Patrons apparently were invited to dance with them but I was tired by then, and my dance skills are a little rusty as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment