Wednesday, September 18, 2013

International Harvester

   One of my E-bay orders arrived, it was a postcard from the Chicago World's Fair of 1933-34. It was from the International Harvester exhibit, and is in black and white. I think it is a rare one as I haven't seen many listings so far. So this is why I said I was putting it on the top of the priority list. With the CBS Radio postcard arriving already this week, I now have 11 from this world's fair.
   I decided to order a few other items, after being outbid on a rare Maytag book. So I ordered a first day cover, and old full-page advertisement, and two postcards. Both of the postcards are of my hometown.
   When I think of International Harvester, or IH, I do often think of my dad. He frequently spoke of this company, must have used their tractors some when growing up on the farm in southern Iowa. He said he also likes to eat at IHOP as it serves as a reminder- just because the first word is 'International' for both.
     At work we had a quick meeting about the holiday schedule, apparently the office closes early on Christmas and New Year's Eve. I like how my 'De facto' boss does quick meetings. Just say what needs to be said.
     I did hear from my first date from this weekend. Unfortunately, not what I wanted to hear. I was told 'Doesn't want to date right now' even though this ran counter to the end of the date, where I was told 'Wanted to see me again'. Also tough to hear 'A really nice person' on some level as it does me a lot of good at this point to be 'Nice'. I do like how I received a response, and a polite one as well, as not everyone does this sadly. I made it a Facebook posting, where the content was nearly verbatim from the message, and I did get some encouragement from it. I heard from a few people I don't hear from often, like one of them is somebody I know from the writer's conventions. I did respond to the email from my date and said I liked the honesty, though it left me puzzled to hear this. And I gave some advice: don't wait too long to contact me when ready to date again. I am ready to date now and will date somebody I like if they are interested and available. And I closed it with 'I wish you only the best'.
    At first I wasn't sure if going to the comedy club was the best place for me after hearing this news. But I am a regular at the club and told myself it's still better than moping around at home. I will have to admit that it was a lackluster night for me. I wasn't laughing at that many jokes, hard to get in the mood for it. One exception was hearing the 'I'm not Neil' joke. I got a shout-out for it as I started laughing hysterically shortly after hearing the beginning of it. The MC said I was drunk, I said I wasn't, the performer said 'I'm just me'. Which works for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment