Saturday, October 12, 2013

Flandrau State Park

   After attending the Twin Cities book festival at the state fairgrounds, I went to New Ulm for Oktoberfest. One of the places I visited was Flandrau State Park. I wanted to see the WPA buildings that were later used as a World War 2 prison camp. I had to get a key from them and drive to the other side of the river, as there was a gate leading to it. There was a plate onsite about the history of the grounds. I did take plenty of pictures as expected. I liked having the thrill of seeing a welcome to New Ulm sign twice, as I briefly left to drive over to Sleepy Eye and see the Linus statue there in front of the library. I had a vanilla shake across the street at the Hardee's. Before the state park I found a Catholic church with some nice artwork inside by Anton Gag, Wanda's dad. And of course I made it to German Park and kneeled in front of the fountain. Also liked finding the pillar with the 'Have you had a kindness shown?' poem, from the Wanda Gag House Association. I am still moved whenever I see it. I had a drink at Turner Hall, and while there I did meet a couple that happened to be from the Twin Cities like me. The man was in mapmaking, the woman a nursing supervisor. I was given his business card. They were interested in how I do comedy and would like to get an invite to one of my upcoming shows. In the evening I did make it to the Holiday Inn, and as usual I had the German food there and really enjoyed it. It was nice to have a variety of music there. The main stage at poolside had polka music, which was all right. But a smaller room had more modern music that I recognized more like 'I will survive' by Gloria Gaynor and 'Proud Mary' by CCR. I did dance a little, it helped that the costumed 'Narren' performers showed up during these songs. As I was leaving town I did get a can of Dr. Pepper for 50 cents at a nearby feed store for the drive back to the Twin Cities. I played all 3 CDs I brought with me for the drive. One was a Bob Newhart comedy disc. The others were 'Vs.' by Pearl Jam, and the 8-Mile movie soundtrack. I was tired near the end, but I knew I could make it without another stop along the way or more soda pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment