Monday, October 21, 2013

Huguenot Heritage, Jersey

   One of my E-bay orders arrived today, it was the first day cover from Great Britain. It says 'Jersey, 1685-1985, Huguenot Heritage' on it. There are six different stamps on it. Each one is in reference to a different subject, as it covers church, law, craft, trade, industry, and services. I am unfamiliar with who and what is on these stamps but I like the reminder of various places the Huguenots migrated to. An order of South African stamps honoring them is on the way, and I already have the American ones. I found some mention of French stamps in their honor but haven't found any listings on E-bay yet. With these from Jersey, I am reminded of an earlier cover I bought that said Gibraltar on it- both are British territory. I have an international stamp that says United Kingdom, from last year's visit. I know Jersey is an English Channel island, but little else. The American state of New Jersey derives its name from this island.
   I went to opening night for the 10,000 Laughs comedy festival. It was at the Monday Night Comedy Show at Club Underground in Minneapolis. My 'Bestie' performed, as well as the hip-hop act known as Valley Meadows. I liked meeting a Detroit (actually Ann Arbor) native that now lives in Chicago, he was a comic performing before intermission. Since the Vikings were playing tonight, against the Giants, many wanted to see the game on the monitors on the upper level when there was intermission or before the show started. The Vikings lost 23-7. 

No comments:

Post a Comment