Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Punchline Punchout

    Tonight I went to the comedy club, and it was the first time I saw the kind of show known as 'Punchline Punchout'. Comics get one word as their theme for their jokes, and find out which one of the two is better at the word. I said this is something I could do. This was especially true after seeing one of the words be 'Elephant'. I have plenty of stories to share about elephants. It seemed that the easiest word given all night was shopping, and I was really laughing when one comic ended his set with selling merchandise. Somebody actually bought something he was hawking, an 8-Track tape! Don't recall what kind of music was on it though.
    When I chose a seat, somebody made a joke about how I was 'In the hammock' with another comic. And I knew full well there was no hammock at the club. But it did made me think of jokes about it, as Homer Simpson likes his hammock. After the show I really liked swapping stories with the other comics, I am really in my element when at comedy shows. This included the Ann Arbor native who was at the Monday show, and another Iowan like me- from Cedar Rapids.
    Before the show was a notable event, at least for me. I was going downstairs after getting a drink and the server behind me dropped her tray. I froze at first, which is typical for me when a spill happens. But thankfully I did rather quickly get into action, picking up a lemon as well as a bottle of water and putting them back on the counter. I told myself before it was wrong to do nothing and just look at it. Why I have done this before, I don't know. Maybe I am reminded of times when I spilled things when I was younger and I felt bad about it all over again. I shouldn't, as nobody is perfect.
   I did watch some of the first game of the World Series before and after the show. Boston beat St. Louis 8-1. Sounded like St. Louis had too many errors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment