Friday, October 4, 2013

Schaeffer Hall, Iowa City

This morning, I headed to Iowa City for homecoming weekend. I got an invite to attend an event at Schaeffer Hall related to the history department, as this was my major there. I probably hadn't been there since I graduated. I arrived at 5pm on campus after parking my car at a nearby ramp. The power plant whistle had just sounded. They were already packing up at the event, but I got some of the goodies before they were taken away. I really like the cheese at these events. Also had a cookie and a soft drink. The event coordinators were impressed how I could name most of my history instructors, and some of them are still at the university. I confirmed this when looking at the directory. Some are listed as 'emeritus', meaning retired. I did get some pictures inside, this included an 'indoor cornerstone' for lack of a better term that spoke of when the building was opened and when it was re-opened after renovation. It was shut down for renovation when I graduated and I recall being asked to complete a survey about it. I would like to think they paid attention to comments made by me, as I said one room I had a class in was too small. The homecoming parade took place nearby, and I noticed plenty of Corvettes were used for the VIPs, they later stated these were on loan from a Corvette collector club in Cedar Rapids. After the parade I got some Sam Adams beer for my former roommate, at Hy-Vee, and we drank some of it that evening.
  Before leaving town I did do some chores, like dishes and taking out the trash. There was not much else to do other than pack, and I travel light. Usually better to do them before going out of town than after when one tends to have more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment