Friday, October 18, 2013

Ray Charles Stamps

    This week I went online and checked what postal products were available. I was pleased to find out another musician is being honored with a postage stamp, Ray Charles. When I noticed the downtown post office near my workplace has them, I bought a sheet there during my lunchtime. Eventually I will probably get a first day cover as well, must go online for it. I did see the biopic about Ray Charles, known simply as 'Ray' and starring Jamie Foxx. It mostly covered the earlier part of his life that I was unfamiliar with. I know about him being on 'Saturday Night Live' and in the movie 'Blues Brothers'. The sheet of stamps does mention some of his songs by name, such as 'Georgia on my mind'.
   I did go to the comedy club tonight and got some stage time. I did a joke about being asked to complete a conflict of interest questionnaire. I disclosed being part of a writer's organization, and the response I got back before midday was 'No bona fide conflict of interest'. Well I would like to think so, as I didn't think I needed the company's approval to join. I also did the one about bagels at work, along with more about relationships and internet dating.
   I joined a website to get points in hopes of getting certain items like a free ticket to the 10,000 Laughs Comedy Festival, which is upcoming. Looks like I already have enough points for a button.
   Two more E-bay orders arrived. One was a postcard and the other a first day cover from 1929, from the dedication of the airport in my hometown of Newton, Iowa. There are five outstanding, and they all should be arriving soon. There may be a few other items that I end up ordering for this month.
    I liked speaking with a crowd member after the show in the bar area, as we spoke about more than just comedy. I do like discussing the craft of comedy with anyone who is interested. As I was about to leave I noticed one of the TV monitors was on the 'Fly show', and a comedian friend did the last five minutes tonight. It is the D.C. native, and I like how he did the 'Hot dog pre-nup' joke as I hadn't heard it in a while.   

No comments:

Post a Comment