Sunday, October 6, 2013

Summertime Sadness By Lana Del Rey

    I started my drive back from Iowa City mid-morning. Early on I heard one song twice on the car radio. it was 'Summertime Sadness' by Lana Del Rey. I like many of the lyrics like 'Before you go' and 'Nothing scares me anymore'. Also 'sadness' in the title makes me think of the Smashing Pumpkins double-CD 'Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness'. I once heard somebody say at the comedy club how her songs are 'Cutting' music. Meaning, what you listen to when you're sad enough to cut yourself. Well I don't mind hearing sad songs. It makes me happier, knowing I'm not alone. Same reason why I liked Smashing Pumpkins. Front-man Billy Corgan even said in a Rolling Stone interview how sad music made him happy as well. When I tried to find it on Youtube, on the first attempt I found a different version than what was on the radio. It was slower paced, and I didn't like it as much. I tried again and found it, discovering the one on the radio is the 'Cedric Gervais remix'. Sometimes I like a remix version better, like Lady Gaga's 'Just Dance' with Kardinal Offishall. Come to think of it, I heard another version of 'Just Dance' when driving home today- different from the one I just mentioned.
   For most of the drive it was fairly uneventful. I got breakfast at a Casey's before leaving the Iowa City area. Then I stopped in Cedar Falls and Clear Lake, and both of those happened to be Casey's stores as well. I got pictures of more of the Charlie Brown characters in the Cedar Falls store, advertising chocolate milk. Last year I think I just got the biggest one, which said 'Little Monsters' making me think of the term Lady Gaga has for her fans. It started to rain just before I got to the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area, and then it rained off and on for most of the way back to the Twin Cities. I didn't mind it at all, I can drive through fairly light rain or at times it was just drizzle. Then just a little north of Northfield it grinds to a crawl due to construction. Eventually I decide to take an alternate route, and bypassed most of the 10 miles or so of construction. I ended up at the Target store in Lakeville as I needed to go to the bathroom. Then I was on my way again, But of course I was nearly home by then which was a nice feeling.
    I watched the end of 'The Simpsons', it appeared to be a Halloween episode. Then I went grocery shopping and watched some of the 49ers-Texans football game. The 49ers got off to a fast start, with a 'Pick 6', my favorite play of the game. They were way ahead at halftime. After I got home I set aside my phone to let it recharge. When it was done I checked messages and there was one from my dad. He spoke of being at his class reunion a few weeks back, which they had at a homecoming football game. Also about seeing 'The Butler' movie three times apparently. He did see some of the Hawkeye game I had attended, on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment