Sunday, October 13, 2013

Wrong Coffee Shop

     I had a first date in the afternoon, at a coffee shop. But at first I went to the wrong coffee shop. I understood it as the one next to a CVS pharmacy, but it was across the street instead. I was waiting at a Starbucks and got a text message asking where I was. Oh no, it was meant to be at Caribou. The date still happened, we spoke for a while so yay for that. There's probably some good joke material in it somewhere.
    In the evening I was looking at my cellphone while watching the baseball playoff game, noticed I had plenty of old text messages on it. I ended up deleting most of them, and many of them was from my ex. It reminded me how I hadn't contacted a friend that lives in the St. Louis area in a little while, so I did. We spoke about various subjects, and I found out this friend will be visiting the Twin Cities next month.
   In the late evening I figured it would be a quick thing responding to a message from a comedian friend on Facebook. There is some interest in renting a movie from Blockbuster that we would watch together at my home as I hadn't rented from there in a while. The thread started with this friend saying he got a voicemail from Blockbuster saying he owes $30, likely from late fees on a rental. But it was not a quick thing, as another comedian friend had a comment thread about Indian mascots in pro sports, since he is a fan of the NFL's Washington Redskins. Eventually I spoke of the University of Iowa, the college I graduated from, having a policy against playing Indian mascot schools. Some wanted to make it a 'race of people' policy, to include a school like the Purdue Boilermakers. The quote about it in the campus paper from a professor was how he thought a boilermaker was a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment